A brief history
The original chapel was built on Pear Tree Brow in 1813.
Re-built in 1833, this building, which is now privately owned, displays a blue plaque on the wall to commemorate its origin. The foundation stone from the original Wesleyan Chapel can now beseen built into our front perimeter wall. In later years there was the need for a larger church in Middleforth, and so the church on its present site was opened in 1910 to cater for the growing congregation. When Penwortham Bridge Methodist Church (to give it its original full name) was first opened, the nearby bridge which dates back to 1750, was the lowest bridging point of the River Ribble. Prior to the construction of the 'old' bridge, the only means of crossing the river at this point was by ferry-boat or ford.
Our proximity to the river has meant that the threat of flooding has always been a possibility in this area, and Church has been temporarily closed now for over twelve months while the Environment Agency carry out extensive flood defence works. Before and during the work :
This has been a massive project. We have now turned another page in our long history in Penwortham, and re-opened for worship on Sunday March 26th 2023.